A strong code of ethics is an organisation's moral compass
Ensure ethical behaviour is part of your culture – starting at the executive level and cascading down through every area of your organization - with The Ethical Dilemma .
Is ethics really good business? Absolutely, says author Peter Garber. He makes a strong business case for how ethics will ultimately help you avoid fines and penalties and improve profits and customer and public relations. He shows you how to establish ethical behaviours and practices. Just as important, he demonstrates how to observe and enforce them, make people accountable and ensure there are penalties sand consequences for non-compliance.
Seven steps to follow to create a corporate culture based on ethical principles:
• Assess the current state of ethics in your organisation.
• Set goals – the standards of right and wrong you want people to live by.
• Mandate that ethical behaviors and practices be followed throughout the organisation.
• Measure ethical practices by establishing programmes – such as an ethics hotline, open door policy, access to top management and surveys of ethical practices.
• Establish accountability by making ethics a part of every manager’s and supervisor’s goals.
• Model the ethical behaviour you expect of everyone else.
• Challenge the organisation to continuously reach for higher standards.
This book is part of the HR Skills Series designed to help managers plan for and manage changes in such areas as consumer demand, workforce turnover, production and performance standards.